Monday, September 27, 2010

Three Weeks

Twenty one days. That, apparently, is my limit for daily blogging. September being a month of new beginnings, I thought it would be appropriate to attempt to establish some habits. What can I say? I'm a goal setter

As the September days wore on, and I started resorting to telling old stories, I discovered the reason behind my general inability to generate blog fodder on a daily basis. I lead a pretty dull life. I'm not bored, by any means, but the whole send-kids-to-school,-go-to-the-library,-fold-laundry,-what's-for-dinner storyline isn't all that interesting to write, or to read. It's not like I'm raising chickens. Now that's fascinating stuff, so c'mon Pheobe and Laura, gimme the goods.

What's next? Funny you should ask. In the interest of generating blog fodder, I'm ready to conduct an experiment of my own. It involves you, my readers. All eight of you. I invite you to give me something to do. It could be anything you want, except go on a road trip. I'm all road tripped out for awhile. (FYI, anything over 2 1/2 hours is a road trip.) I'll do it. And I'll write about it. Maybe even photograph it.

I guess saying "it could be anything you want" is a little misleading. I'm not going to start raising chickens or mooing in the middle of Yoga or selling Mary Kay because you suggested I do so. But I might, I don't know, try a new restaurant, or something like that. See? I am boring. I can't think of anything to do that would be worth writing about. Maybe there is something you have always wanted to try and you want me to do it first. Or maybe there is something you just wish I would do, like get some of your photos to you before pigs start flying.

I won't compromise my morals and I won't be mean to anyone. On purpose. (Today the girl who made the better than sex cake for that funeral told me she had read my blog. I feel really dumb. I hope it wasn't mean to write about it. She didn't divulge her opinion about the originator of the cake's name, and you'd better believe I didn't ask.)

So welcome to my own personal game of Truth or Dare. Challenge me and give me something to say.

Or don't. Whatever.

Thanks for reading.

15 comments:

Shannon Smith said...

Take a ballet class. It's something I've wanted to do but don't have the guts!

Megan said...

Learn about letterboxing
letterboxing.org

Then take your kids to find this letterbox
http://www.letterboxing.org/BoxView.php?boxnum=20971&boxname=Badger%27s_Burrow

And of course, photograph and blog about it!

Have fun!

Matt and Erin said...

Go skydiving, Liz! You know you want to.

Christie said...

I would like you to do a post on your day (in photo form). Start at the crack of dawn and go until your head hits the pillow. Show us the pics and let us see what your life looks like.

(Now who's boring?)

Phoebe said...

Letterboxing is really fun....I really love your writing. You should start interviewing people and post it on your blog, it's what all the famous bloggers do when they run out of material. You should start with your celebrity children.

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, Isaac, Spencer said...

While living in Iowa I always wanted to go and just stand in the middle of a corn field....full of corn. Maybe it was some weird Field of Dreams thing, like whats out there. Anyway. Something I never did back in my Iowa glory days.

Sara said...

I want you to go buy the first season of Glee spend a couple of days watching and singing at the top of your lungs, then blog apologies and regrets that you haven't ever seen it.

That's Ms. Amy to You... said...

Post a photograph of something from every room in your house. I want to see what you've done & envy your mad photog skills.

Chrissy Jo said...

There are some really good ideas here! I'd still love to see a list of all your favorite children's books (I SWEAR we talked about that once upon a time).

I would also love for you to find the ultimate very best chocolate cake recipe so I can make it. :-) Oh, and while I'm on the subject of food, maybe you could review the best Chinese and Mexican resturants in Des Moines... I seem to be lacking in knowledge of either and I'm always afraid to try those whole in the wall restaurants (though I hear they are usually the best).

You could also do something like "The 30 Strangers Project" where you interview and photograph 30 strangers... people can be fascinating when you get to know them.

I know I'm not all that original in my ideas. Take them or leave them, and know that I enjoy reading your blog no matter what you write.

Laura Bernard said...

My ideas were go a whole week without spending a cent.

And the other, see how long you could last using NO processed or prepackaged/prepared foods. (I'd allow diced tomatoes or things that really aren't altered much, just preserved) I know you enjoy cooking and that that would be a little challenge in a realm you already enjoy.

And for the record, one of the reasons we own chickens is because THERE IS NOTHING ELSE TO DO IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE. And BTW, I loved your Sept. posts.

bamatamb said...

Since I haven't seen you since high school (or shortly thereafter), write about your favorite high school memory. (I won't be offended if I'm not in it, by the way! :)

Unknown said...

Okay so funny thought I had actually thought of you as someone I would like on my team when I started my Mary Kay business.

Now on to what I suggest. I would love to hear about your photography. How to stage shots, edit your photos etc etc.

Good luck! and I think you are one of the most interesting people I know.

Jen said...

Here's a fun game to play.
Try to speak in rhyme all day.
Then write a story.
That's not boring.
The kids might listen to what you say.

Sara said...

you seriously need to update.

iMzOOL said...

i always meant to have a party at night time on the 42nd bridge in des moines. i dare you to have a dinner party on the bridge and you have to listen to music and dance under the stars.