Wednesday, September 22, 2010

21

On the topic of awkward conversations:

Have you had this cake that's been making the rounds of church functions and school picnics for a few years?

It's a cake from a box drizzled with sweetened condensed milk frosted with cool whip and topped with heath bar.

I like sweetened condensed milk and I love finding good uses for a heath bar, but you lost me at box cake and cool whip. Give me heavy whipping cream or give me nothing!

Someone had the audacity to name this cake "Better than Sex Cake."

Seriously? I mean, seriously?

{cut to this scene from awhile back:}

I'm in the church gym just after a funeral service and my bishop (a.k.a. ecclesiastical leader, spiritual guide for you muggles. Ha! As if anyone reads this who either a: isn't related to me or b: doesn't go to church with me or c: isn't Sissy) so he comes up to me while I'm dishing myself up a big piece of this cake, which I'm making fun of here, but I'm not going to deny myself a slice when it's being served at a funeral mostly because, hey! it's cake! and I say to him (and here's the climax of my story) "Boy, I feel bad for the poor woman who named this cake!"

My cake tasted a lot like foot that day, but for goodness' sake, I certainly hope you have had the same thought.

And now for the denouement:

I saw Easy A tonight. I LOVED IT! One of my mom's catch phrases when we were young was "ooooh, let's not and say we did." It reminded me of Gilmore Girls and Mean Girls and I'm now ready to have all the girls over to watch Say Anything and Sixteen Candles.

I think I'll stick with Tres Leches cake for refreshments, though.

9 comments:

diana said...

"I love the way your foul little mind works."

Christie said...

I've never loved that cake either. The soggy state from the milk kind of grosses me out.

I can't believe you said that to your Bishop. That is hilarious. What was his response? Did he even get it?

And good to know that movie is funny. Might have to treat myself to a little daytime flick.

bamatamb said...

1- I totally agree about the cake. When I tried it back in my single days, I thought "seriously? Please, oh please, I really hope not."

2- "Say Anything" is still in my top 5 favorite movies of all time.

Kelly said...

I needed a good laugh this afternoon. Thanks. And thanks for blogging again. I so love reading yours.

sarita said...

This post took me back to Thanksgiving dinner at your place. You and I were in your kitchen, discussing the importance of using heaving whipping cream instead of that cool whip crap.

And that was when I pulled out the imitation vanilla and you almost jumped out of your skin.

I've used the real extract stuff ever since and I'll never go back, and I owe it all to you, my friend!

Becky said...

I'm thinking it's kind of inappropriate to serve "Better than Sex Cake" at a funeral! Even if it's not actually better than sex, or even close. It's definitely better than death!

diana said...

my comment was a quote from a disney movie as i'm sure you guessed. but i found it to deliver my thoughts perfectly.

but i just have one more comment si vous plait:

was the pun intended?

(and now you get to see how my foul little mind works)

mae said...

Yeah, not a big fan of the cake either. I agree with Christie- I don't like the soggy factor. I would rather just dip my spoon into the can of sweetened condensed milk.

That is so funny that you said that to your bishop. I'm sure he now thinks you're an inappropriate pervert...nothing to be ashamed of really.

Kara said...

First of all, I'm LOVING your frequent blogging.

You are so funny, and write things so well.

And we all feel sorry for whoever named that cake.
Coming to chicago anytime soon?