Thursday, September 16, 2010

16

By the time we made it to Washington D.C. in July, we had paid more than $60 in tolls, we had driven for more than 20 hours, and we had listened to Jim Dale tell us the tale of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.

The Pennsylvania Turnpike is expensive! It only costs me, like, $1.80 in tolls to drive to Chicago. Sheesh.

Dad spent all day (from 7am to 6:30pm) every day at the Ritz Carlton for his training course.

In temperatures above 100 degrees, the kids and I took advantage of that time to get out and explore our nation's capital.

Rattling around inside my brain is an abundance of advice about traveling with children. Some day all of that advice may organize itself into a blog entry.

For now, I just have the pictures to prove we were there.

Jack finds the name of Lolo's fallen comrade, James C. Marshall, at The Wall.



Outside the Supreme Court


Riding the Circulator around town.


Hanging out at Union Station


Union Station


I know that a few of these photos could have been taken anywhere, but we really were in D.C. when I took them. D.C., as I said earlier, is also where we discovered our love of Thai food.

Here are the fried squid legs my kids couldn't get enough of.


What? Don't your kids beg you to take them out for fried squid legs every. single. night. when you are on vacation? No? Hmm. That's weird.


We saw so many other things while we were there:
Smithsonian Air and Space Museum


The Mayflower Hotel


Marine Corps Memorial



Lincoln Memorial



Library of Congress, Children's Reading Room

Maybe tomorrow I will post a few more shots from my phone. I didn't always lug the big camera around with me.

I recommend taking your kids to see the Capital City. I don't however, recommend sending them as Tributes!

2 comments:

diana said...

I have so many comments... First of all, I LOVE the photos. Stella holding George on the bus, the kids at the Lincoln Memorial, Jack pointing to the name on the Wall, Jack and Creed sharing secrets and Union Station. What a great photo journal. I loved DC. I think I cried the entire time I was there. Did you see the Changing of the Guard? I was an emotional wreck.

But the squid legs? No. Yikes, yikes, yikes. The first photo gave me the heebie jeebies and then to see one dangling from Creed's mouth? ((shivers all over))

Your post makes me want to get out the photos from my trip. It's been a while.

Oh and don't you just love Jim Dale? He nails those characters in a way that Hollywood just can't seem to adopt.

Christie said...

The pictures are fabulous. Love the one especially of the boys at Lincoln Memorial. So perfect.

The squid legs? Really look gross. I threw up a little in my mouth when I saw them. Sorry.