Thursday, February 12, 2009

Girl meets boy


I wanted to marry him after our first date.  (The events that led up to the first date are a fun story for another time.  They include a rockstar jailbird best friend/boyfriend combo.)

Diary excerpt: (and yes, it is a diary, not a journal.  This thing is so full of mushy falling in love crap, it is sickening.  Are you surprised that I'm a hopeless romantic?  Sara, don't answer that.)

July 6, 1996: Tonight was magic, pure and simple.  I will probably be thinking about Bob for the next couple of days (that's an understatement).  I could easily spend the rest of my life with him and never look back.  Here's an added bonus: he's hot!  If Bob asks me to marry him someday, my answer is YES!

He thought I didn't like him at all.

I called him for a second date (because I just couldn't wait for him to call me).  

This date involved roller skates, my little brother, one of my best friends and his Madonna Emmaculate Collection, a Buick LeSabre (pronounced le-say-BWA) and a 45 minute drive to the nearest town with a roller skating rink.

Robert spent the evening skating with Eddie while Mark and I practiced our moves on the rink.

I was desperately in love.

Robert says I was sending mixed signals.

Our third date was his idea.  And it involved swimsuits.  

This time his little brother came with us.

Also, his ex-girlfriend (who didn't understand that she was now his ex) and her friend.  

She asked him to a movie right in front of me and he accepted.  Right in front of me.  Now he was sending the mixed signals.  

However . . . 


I soon accompanied him to his family reunion.  

The apex of the family reunion was a talent show. (Have you seen Dan in Real Life?  LOVE-d it.  Did you notice they were playing Celebrity Challenge?  Do you play?  Want to learn?  Come over!) He serenaded me with this song: 

Some people think we're rushin' it, we need to take more time.
It hasn't been quite long enough for us to know it's right.
But they can keep on worryin', and I know they prob'ly will,
Cause if I live a thousand lifetimes, I know I'll love you still.

It's not enough time for them, but it's enough time for me.
I've known you long enough to know I always want to be
Together when we're workin', together when we play
Together when we wake up with the worst breath of the day.

I don't want to be eighty-two, with anyone else but you.
I don't want to be old and grey, unless you're with me all the way.
And when I lose my teeth and hair, 
If you still love me I won't care.
I don't want to be eighty-two
With anybody else but you.



7 comments:

Matt and Erin said...

Liz, that made me teary! How cute! I loved the dairy excerpts--mine are so similar! I love that you are a hopeless romantic. And that Bob serenaded you! Matt sings to me a lot, but it's usually made up songs like, "I love Erin. She's so hot. My heart's tied, in a knot." Haha!

diana said...

Aw. I'm so glad you found each other. What a great post to kick off my Valentine celebrations.

Thanks for loving my brother so much!

sarita said...

My favorite post on Rosieblog so far.

That's Ms. Amy to You... said...

That was so sweet. I'll bet Bob is blushing right now. He is lucky to have you. (and ps - I love that picture of the mad scientists in their lab coats!).

Sara said...

What? No mention of Bob skipping around the back yard singing Juan Paco Pedro de la mar at the top of his lungs?

I have no idea if that's the name of the song or not...

You are right about your diary not being a journal. I just love to read that thing with you. It reminds me of Elf when Buddy runs into his dad's office and proclaims "I'm in love, I'm in love and I don't care who knows it!" You two really are MFEO.

Pamela said...

Good on you for writing in your diary :) "Dan In Real Life" rocks! I am glad you found your soul mate. i have a funny first date with Keith that involved swimsuits. I will have to tell you sometime!

Christie said...

What has happened to my stupid reader? NONE of these posts have shown up for me. I only realized it today when Laura mentioned that Sara had her baby and you blogged about it. So, I came here and discovered all this unread treasure. I'm firing Bloglines and switching to Google Reader. TONIGHT.

LOVE your love story. Please tell me more. Like the part about the jailbird. You sure got a keeper there!