Monday, September 19, 2011

Nineteen

Okay, based on Christie and Kristelle's comments on my last post, I googled "sea shell ceramic curlers" and "prostyler."

I suspect Kristelle meant to reference the TopStyler. Correct me if I'm wrong. I have not seen this infomercial, but thanks to my in-depth YouTube research I think I may have to try these curlers as well.

In the meantime, I thought of two other products I have tried based on their commercials. First was the Richard Caruso Molecular Hairsetter. I begged my mom to buy this for me back in high school and for some reason . . . she did! It was a contraption that infused pink sponge curlers with hot steam one at a time. I remember it was awkward and time consuming, but I also remember that those curls lasted for days.

One Christmas I was lucky enough to open the gift that my sister in law, Tifiny, had placed into the family Yankee Gift Swap. I was so excited when I opened it, I may have squealed. I had been watching the infomercials for weeks drooling over this product. I don't think the other people in the circle knew what a treasure I was holding because nobody stole it from me. I actually went home with it! It was . . . are you ready for this?


I loved that thing. Of course, I stopped using it when I ran out of cleanser.

On a side note: do you censor yourself on your blog? If so, what are your standards for censoring yourself? I censored myself in this entry based on the fact that my mom, dad, stepmom, and at least two stepsisters (Mandy is the latest stepsister to look at it, and I promised her a shout out a long time ago. Hi Mandy!) are reading this blog and I didn't want them to read a story that had the word "xxxxxxx" in it.

At least I think they are still reading.

Thoughts?

Post Edit: I removed the potentially scandalous word from this post. I realized that while I know my kids aren't reading my blog at home, I don't know if they are looking at it elsewhere. They have internet access at school, and they know the blog address. It's true that over time they may be able to appreciate the humor in certain situations (mom, dad: that's not the case with me, so don't use any scandalous words around me) but for now I will spare them any embarrassment that I can. If you want to know the story that I wrote out last night and was laughing out loud at myself, then shoot me an email and I'll tell you.  Otherwise, it will live in my handwritten journal.

8 comments:

That's Ms. Amy to You... said...

A few things: First, the only infomercial products I have tried have been work out DVD's. Billy Blanks still has a place in my home (mostly because I can't let him beat me, even though I think he's a little too manic), and I've also tried Chalene Johnson's TurboFire and Chalean Extreme. Love them both.

Next, YES, I censor myself all the time. Mostly because the potential fallout does not outweigh the benefits of writing about certain topics/people. And props to you for even typing "vibrator" on your blog. But I hope that unrelated to any possible infomerical that was pitching one. I really, really hope.

Liz said...

Amy! I have owned the Billy Blanks tae bo program, too! It was on VHS tapes and I don't have a VCR anymore. He IS manic!

Also, I have never seen an infomercial for one of "those" products. My story was about a case of mistaken identity. I was laughing out loud as I typed it last night, then I erased the whole thing.

Now I'm laughing again.

Christie said...

No, Top Styler is it! That's the one. The informercial was AWESOME. The curls looked absolutely perfect. I am dying to try it.

Christie said...

P.S. I do censor myself quite a it. Often times, I have written a whole post then will delete before publishing. I like people who don't though. :-)

bamatamb said...

1. I still have my Richard Caruso curlers and I think they're awesome!
2. Why censor yourself? Those of us who love you, love you because you're YOU! (uncensored!)
3. Vibrator?? When are you going to post THAT story!? ;)
4. I was uploading old music to my iPod the other day and found a bunch by Suzanne Vega and immediately thought of you.

Liz said...

Suzanne Vega! Just the other day I had "Luka" running through my mind. It's such a catchy song for a dreary subject.

Sara said...

Now you really need to post the story. Your readers all around the world are imagining what the story about rosie and the vibrator is!

Unknown said...

The Topstyler looks really cool but I actually meant the Instyler. Right now I am in love with the Shark steam mop infomericals and also the zumba videos.