Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Five

My heart broke wide open today.

The world is a better place because my father-in-law spent 63 years here making his mark.

He greeted his last day on earth much the same way he began many of his days; with a hearty "Good Morning!"

His final moments were spent in the arms of his lifelong sweetheart and surrounded by his children and grandchildren.


Some of us spent the evening sorting through boxes of old photos.

Some of us spent our time cooking, trying to make ourselves feel useful by offering nourishment in the best way we know how.

We lost one of the good ones today.

Thank you for your kind words, your well wishes, you prayers for comfort and your good vibes. I know they mean so much to my husband and his family. and to me, too.


8 comments:

Becky said...

I am so, so sorry for your loss. You guys are in our thoughts and prayers.

sarita said...

Thinking about you and your family and sending our sympathies your way.
*hugs*

That's Ms. Amy to You... said...

Thinking of you and your entire family today. I am so sorry for your loss.

Christie said...

I am so sorry. Love you and are praying for you!

Heather said...

So sorry for your family's loss. I'm so glad you were all able to be with him. Sending love and hugs your way.

mae said...

I remember Forrest beating on Earl with a plastic sword after Creed's baptism. Earl just sat there staring at him with a smirk on his face.

I'm so sorry. Please hug Bob and your kids for me. Lots of love and prayers your way.

Sissy Jackson said...

Girl, I am so sorry for your loss. Its so hard to lose the ONES THAT WE LOVE! I'll pray for you and your fam...love you!

Tara : Damon : Ellis : Hudson said...

Liz, I'm so sorry for your loss... Buy I am so happy for you that you got to spend so much time with your father-in-law and family. I did this same thing with my grandfather just a week before this, and those moments are some of the most sacred in my life. We sure miss you guys out here!