Thursday, September 15, 2011

Fifteen



The problem with having Oatmeal Cake for dessert tonight . . . is that I most certainly will have it for breakfast tomorrow.

Oatmeal Cake
1 cup oatmeal
1 1/2 cup water
1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cup flour
Caramel Topping (recipe follows)

Heat oven to 350.

Mix the oatmeal and the water in a medium bowl and let stand.

In a separate bowl, cream the butter and the sugars. Add the eggs and mix well. Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Add the oatmeal mixture to the cake mixture and combine.

Bake 30-40 minutes in a greased 9x12 pan. Do not overbake.

Caramel Topping (add to a hot or a cold cake):
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp milk
1 Tbsp karo syrup (gasp!)

Mix all ingredients and bring to a boil for one minute. Spread on cake and add some chopped walnuts or pecans (nuts are optional. As I'm reading this recipe, I'm realizing that I have never added nuts.) Put the cake under the broiler and remove when topping gets bubbly.

We like to serve this with freshly whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.


If you stop by my home for a visit, rest assured that you will be fed. Tonight Tifiny called and said she was hoping for dessert when she got here, which made my heart melt. I had the cake ready to serve by the time she arrived. Pictured above from left to right: Robert's legs, Earl (Robert's brother), Tifiny (Earl's wife), Lola (Robert's mom), Tifiny's mom and Tifiny's Dad.

2 comments:

Christie said...

Honey, I've been fed at your house and I still brag about the fabulous food to my friends. You are truly the hostess with the mostess.

Sara said...

I'm glad that Tif's dad survived his heart attack so he could taste the glorious cake.