Monday, January 7, 2008

My first guest entry, 2007 in retrospect.

By Robert

To the many Rosiedays fans I apologize, but I hope you will indulge me an entry. As I am always game for a moment of reflection. Bob

1. What did you do in 2007 that you’d never done before? This was a year of lots of firsts and lasts. My last day of school, my first day as a Dr. My last day as a renter and first as a home owner, most memorable was the first time I broke Stella’s arm.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? no, I did not go an entire year without sugary treats. That might have been the worst resolution ever. Maybe this year I’ll resolve not to breathe, it would be easier. Three resolutions this year. Bike 3000 miles, hit 175 lbs and be more grateful.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? yes I am excited for all of them, next year the closest to me will also give birth.
4. Did anyone close to you die? Yes. You don’t get much closer than CPR, and not everyone makes it. My very first patient died two weeks after I met him. I lost a lot of patients, but I didn’t kill anybody.
5. What countries (or states) did you visit? We stayed in the USA, but we saw a lot of new places this year, for me Disneyland and Nauvoo were highlights, I also went to Maine, Michigan, Indiana, Iowa, Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska, Missouri, and Kansas
6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007? a road bike, an Iphone, a second car, and more gratitude.
7. What dates from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? March 15 the day I matched in Iowa, April 28 I got another brother(officially) and my wife turned 30, July 1 first day as a Doctor. Aug 11 Jack’s baptism, October 30 Beggar’s night(instead of Halloween), December to remember.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? becoming Dr. and Mrs. Rosiedays, or literally going from janitor to physician, it was like going from grunt to king in one hand.
9. What was your biggest failure? Not letting my friends and family know how grateful I am to have them. At least not enough. Or it could have been the time I accidentally got a truckload of asphalt instead of gravel. Both are failures from which I learned valuable lessons.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Just homesick once in a while, and a sore back when I was a landscaper.
11. What was the best thing you bought? Liz said house, but I’m going to have to go with Rogaine. Homes come and go but Bald is forever.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? My wife. We had a roller coaster year and she is going strong.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? My bathroom and the day it fell apart.
14. Where did most of your money go? Fenway
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Getting a job at a great hospital, the big April wedding, the day Earl came to visit, my sister having a healthy baby.
16. What song will always remind you of 2007? Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand, and the dumb Gwen Stefani song that they played on the radio three times while I was cleaning asphalt out of Doug’s truck.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
happier.
b) thinner or fatter?
thinner
c) richer or poorer?
Let me put it to you this way: I really appreciate future me, he has been very generous this year.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? eat at Cafe Rio, go to Brewvies, read, play with the boys
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? feel sorry for myself
20. How did you spend Christmas? It was fantastic, I was with friends and family.
21. Did you fall in love in 2007? Head over heels.
22. What was your favorite TV program? Guilty pleasure: The Family Guy. It was fun to watch the kids watch Kid Nation, it was a really dumb show but they got into it.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? I don’t like people who don’t yield to bicycles. Local bus drivers are the worst.
24. What was the best book you read? Home renovation 3
25. What was your greatest musical discovery? The boys’ piano recital, and the day my kids discovered they love to sing.
26. What did you want and get? a job, a house and a pregnant wife.
27. What did you want and not get? a new bike and a bigger car
28. What was your favorite film of this year? Flags of Our Fathers was great, but my most memorable movie moment had to be when I almost choked on my own tongue during that wrestling scene at Brewvies. I don’t have to say which movie, if you saw the scene it is etched in your brain.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I was on call at the VA and turned 33
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? I have a great wife, fantastic friends, wonderful kids, a roof over my heads, a job I love, a baby on the way, and I’m healthy. I’m satisfied. Two thousand eight resolution #3: check.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007? Don’t buy pants unless my wife is there. In fact, let her buy my clothes.
32. What kept you sane?
Coming home from work. And riding my bike.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? I thought that the Camaro in Transformers was awesome, and Bob Barker. Seriously Drew Carey as a replacement: the price is wrong.
34. What political issue stirred you the most? Boxers or Briefs. That debate is amazing.
35. Who did you miss? I didn’t miss, I hit.

36. Who was the best new person you met? Too hard to answer, I’ve met a lot of great people.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007.

1. Change is hard.

2. I love mountains.

3. The more you study, the more you realize how little you know.

4. Kids really do grow up fast.

5. My wife is more amazing than I thought.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
“Sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name, and they’re always glad you came.”