Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Answers & Background

Here he is with his big brother. They are two of the greatest men I know.


We are a one car family. In all the years that Bob spent in school, there were very few times that he left me without a car. There were the couple of months when I was expecting our first baby when we just couldn’t afford a car. I bussed it to work, he walked. Later, we lived with his parents for a few months and he often took the car during that time, but not always. Then this past December he took the car to work every single day and I got a taste of how bad life could have been for me all these years. And I learned that I love my freedom.


During the school years, we lived on campus and he took public transportation. On the days when rounds started before the buses were running, he walked. When we lived off campus (a 1.5 hour bus ride away with his parents and later a 45 minute bus ride away in Bountiful) he often took those bus rides to leave the car for me and the kids.


I was a little nervous that once he was a fancy high-falootin’ doctor his behavior would change. I need not have worried. Last year he rode his bike to school work every single day. Except Tuesdays. Because he has to go back and forth between hospitals on Tuesdays and doesn’t have time to take a shower between locations.


That’s why he took the car all through December. Every day he was bouncing around between two or three hospitals all over the city.


What? You don’t believe me? You think it was just because it was too cold and snowy? You think he was hiding from the midwestern ice storms? You’d be wrong. We got a home weather station from our BFF Andrew and following are the readings of the temperature at our house when Bob left for work, on his BIKE, the first three days back after his time off:


Jan 1st: o.5 degrees

Jan 2nd: 3 degrees

Jan 3rd: 7 degrees


Mom and Sara, I have your addresses. Princess and Tricia, drop me an email at rosiedaysatmacdotcom with your address and I’ll send you a little, tiny something for participating in my game.