Sunday, July 17, 2011

Breaking Bread


"Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods; good bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts!" ~James Beard
Have you tried the Sullivan Method for your breadmaking? They claim it is so easy, a six year old could do it. Stella, our resident six year old, was busy doing six year old things all weekend and couldn't be bothered to bake, so I turned to our ten year old to see if he was interested in learning how to make bread.


I figured, what better time is there to have the oven at 475 for two hours than a day when the heat indexes at 110?



The recipe was indeed easy, and the result was truly satisfying. The crust was thick and crunchy and the middle was soft and chewy.
It would be the perfect addition to a hot soup in October. Or February.

Okay, okay, it's great with a salad, too but I don't know if I will be able to bring myself to heat the oven at dinnertime again anytime soon. Maybe I'll have to bake it in the early morning hours when we are sitting at a balmy 90 degrees.

I'm sick of this humidity. I am looking forward to the dry heat of St. George.

Two Weeks to go!!

4 comments:

Becky said...

I have NEVER made bread! Except quick breads like banana. I have an irrational fear of using yeast. I need to get over it.

I'm so excited for you that you're moving to St. George! We'll have to meet up in Mesquite or something next time we're in Las Vegas! :)

Liz said...

Well, Becky, this is the recipe to try. I keep my yeast in the freezer, and it doesn't go bad before I can use it all. I would come to Vegas to see you. That would be fun.

Tara : Damon : Ellis : Hudson said...

2 comments in one night, I an on a roll! Haha, get it, ROLL?!? I am definitely trying this bread this week when damon's mistress takes him back on wednesday... And then I will eat the whole loaf! I shall blast the a.c.and dream it is winter again.

Liz said...

You are on a roll. Let me know how you like the bread.