Wednesday, May 6, 2009

I can tell that we are gonna be friends



Chicago, meet Rosie.


Rosie, this is Chicago.
I think this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

Me, in front of the car that Jackie's husband's uncle restored with his son.  We parked our car (for free!) in front of his house for the weekend.  He then, in proper Chicago native fashion, offered to drive us to and from our hotel.








Candace, Jackie and me just outside of Wrigley Field.




Me, Jackie, Candace and Shannon on our way out the door to see Mary Poppins.






Jackie, Me, Candace and Shannon in our Hotel Lobby.





A list of memories, for my own sake:
1. Ditka's: the whole restaurant singing Neil Diamond while the Bulls won in triple overtime.
2. Cubs Game: the guys behind us shamelessly flirting with Candace in between beers and shouts of "With a Rebel Yell!"
3. Cubs Game: During the Seventh Inning Stretch, poor Denise Richards forgetting the words to "Take Me Out to the Ballgame."
3(b) Seeing my first ever Grand Slam, a la Ryan Theriot (pronounced terry-o.)
4. Candace making fun of the fact that I carry a calculator.
5. While everyone else is texting and making phone calls with their fancy 21st century technology, getting out my calculator to do some calculating.
6. Mary Poppins: the family who didn't take their crying kids out.
7. Mary Poppins: me tripping down the stairs in my yellow heels, and subsequently popping the dent out of the toe of my left shoe.
8. Ghiradelli carmel sundaes.
9. Garret's Popcorn
10. Lou Malnati's Chicago Style Pizza
11. Joy at the idea of three of my best friends enjoying each other's company and planning our next weekend away.  Hiltonhead, SC anyone?  Of course, I can make it back to Chicago, ANYTIME.  

edited to add: if you click on the link to Shannon's blog and scroll down, you can see a real time play by play of our exploits.  She has a super duper fancy iPhone.

Also, and I'm just throwin' this out there hoping for a bite, I would like an iPhone, please.  Is there any way to get one without adding the monthly bill for the service?

14 comments:

Dallas said...

Shannon told me about the tripping incident--I'm laughing with you. Shannon has my full support to go on the next trip you all take. About the iPhone, you don't want one. You NEED one. Email, blogging, texting, calendar, maps, weather, pictures, music, videos...need I go on?

That's Ms. Amy to You... said...

I'm so glad you had fun! Chicago really is your kind of town. Every time I go, I leave thinking that I never had enough time to see all the things I wanted to see.

Kelly said...

Sounds like go much fun. I can't wait until I can make it there.

Laura Bernard said...

Oh, what a fun girls trip! I'm feeling jealous! Glad you had such a super time and even more glad you got a little get-away!

diana said...

Fun! I have never been to Chicago. I've always wanted to go. I guess I'll just have to wait until Oprah invites me to be a guest on her show.

Sounds like you had a fabulous time.

Happy Mother's Day

PS What was Bob's big surprise?

Chrissy Jo said...

I love that first picture, Liz. Fabulous! The Iphone is really cool, but you could just get an I-pod touch... very similar, no phone service and no monthly plan.

Jen said...

I love Chicago too (of course I say that, I'm from the area). Deep dish pizza is the best. How did you manage to get away with no kids for the weekend? I am soooo jealous.

Sara said...

All you needed was a red Ferrari. I wish I was there.

mae said...

daaaa bears

Looks like you had fun but then again, you are always having fun. I am still giggling about you tripping at Mary Poppins and popping the dent out of your shoe.

Robyn said...

Oh Liz, makes me wish I were there! I'm totally in for Hiltonhead.

You guys looks stunning!

The Yarn Queen said...

What a great trip, there's nothing more uplifting than being crazy with the girls.

Christie said...

Sigh. I want an iPhone, too.

Looks like the best weekend ever. Yay for you to get away from real life for a few days! A girls weekend does a mamas soul some good.

Jackie said...

That was totally sweet reliving the trip through you. What a fantastic time (minus the crying baby at Mary Poppins). Can't wait to go back with the family!

Alaska said...

Hey you! Liz! How are you? Where are you? It is me! Alaska, from med school--Xavier and Orion's mom (Arabella's too.) Where did you end up? What is going on? How are the boys? And Stella? She is probably a big girl now...Email me: alaskaturner@gmail.com and update me.