Thursday, May 21, 2009

Sew Many Skirts, Sew Little Time

The summer that I was eleven years old, my aunt started sewing shorts for everyone.  She made a pair printed with tennis rackets for me because I was taking tennis lessons that summer.  I remember my younger brother wearing a pair covered in lobsters.  I imagine my Auntie Kim at her local Hancock Fabrics digging through the bargain bins in search of good deals on cotton prints.  Did she have me in mind when she bought that tennis racket pattern?  I like to think so.  

Family legend has it that her husband, my Uncle Scott, wore a pair of the infamous shorts to a Company Picnic.  I cannot contain my fits of laughter any time he tells the story.  Think about your own husband wearing a big ol' pair of bermuda shorts that you had lovingly hand sewn as he attempts to retain/garner the respect of his superiors and his coworkers at the Company Picnic.  I dare you not to laugh at the thought.

One morning my cousin, Maegan, heard her mom, Auntie Kim, on the telephone with my mother.  She recalls Auntie Kim exclaiming "No, really!  They're so easy, I can make some for everyone in your family.  It's only ten o'clock and I've already made ten pairs!"  

Heaven help me, but history seems to be repeating herself.  

I've been making skirts.   Stella doesn't want to wear pants or shorts these days, it's skirts and dresses all the time.  I didn't know what else to do, she just runs out of clean options so fast, and I refuse to spend my entire life washing laundry.  I truly detest shopping with all the kids in tow, and my online time is spent looking at blogs, not shopping around for skirts.  Sewing, on the other hand?  Well, I think sewing is fun.  After the kids go to bed and before I crash for the evening I love to get out my machine and create something. 

Yikes, I'm repeating history and turning into my mother-in-law.  Oh, well.  C'est la vie.

Don't worry, I won't be sending my husband to any work functions in these lovely little numbers.  I do wonder if Kim still has the pattern for those shorts, though.

Behold, a sampling of my creations.  Pin a gold star on your lapel if you can guess which outfit I didn't have any say in.




14 comments:

Chels said...

The funniest thing about those shorts is my mom never made any for herself. So the question that you should be asking before making clothes for other people is would you be willing to wear it? So rosie...would you wear a skirt that you made?

I think they are so cute. I would be proud to wear a Rosie original.

Chrissy Jo said...

I love her skirts! What a crafty Moma you are. I think Stella is an adorable little model.

Oh, and I agree with your friend... I would totally wear a Rosie original. :-)

Kelly said...

Very cute. I would wear one and I wouldn't mind a cute apron to go with it. :)

Christie said...

Ah, the infamous summer of the bermuda shorts. I can remember my mom spending HOURS making those. Poor Uncle Scott - what a good sport he must have been.

Those skirts are ADORABLE. You should open a little etsy shop, my friend.

Robyn said...

I had a great laugh thinking about your uncle in hand made bermuda shorts and a company picnic. I can just see it.. haha, still laughing. What a darling little model. Love your choice in fabrics.

Sissy Jackson said...

cute skirts! Love em!

The Yarn Queen said...

Sewing for little girls is lots of fun. Remember Units. Meg and P had Units of every shape and size and we all thought they were stylin. Your print skirts are really cute, good work.

mae said...

Oh the horror of those shorts that summer! I can't remember which brother had to wear the pair covered in mini newspapers.

I am ditching my family this summer and coming to stay with you so you can teach me how to be crafty.

Matt and Erin said...

What cute skirts! They look adorable on Stella. (And I love the cute apron I got from you at the Favorite Things Party.) You have great taste and great style. I can totally relate to your uncle's company work party story. My mom loves to sew, and I've had to wear my share of ridiculous outfits. (Until I could drive then I mastered the art of making my mom feel good by leaving and coming home in one of her creations but changing before anyone saw me. Haha!) Now she's moved on to grandchildren. My lucky niece got a Christmas dress covered with dogs and poinsettias because she loves her dog. LOL!

That's Ms. Amy to You... said...

U.R. my crafty heroine. I loved that orange polkadot skirt when I first saw it & I love it even more now that I know you labored with your own delicate hands to sew it for her. {sigh} I want to be just like you when I grow up. Whenever that may be.

Pamela said...

Oh yeah, I can totally tell you picked out the orange ensamble! :)

The skirts are super cute by the way.

Megan said...

ADORABLE! I want you to make me one of each, please!

Robert or Liz said...

Isn't it time for an update.

My Voice Marshfield said...

So cute! Kudos to you!