Saturday, May 9, 2009

Reality Bites

I remember when the Velveteen Rabbit asked the skin horse

"What is Real?  Does it mean having things that buzz inside you and a stick out handle?"

"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse.  "It's a thing that happens to you.  When  a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with but really loves you, then you become Real."

"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.

"Sometimes," replied the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful.  "But when you are Real, you don't mind being hurt."

"Does it happen all at once, like being wound up?" he asked.  "Or bit by bit?"

"It doesn't happen all at once.  You Become.  It takes a long time.  That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily or who have sharp edges or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been rubbed off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby.  But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real, you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand." . . . 

 . . . The Rabbit sighed.  He thought it would be a long time before this magic called Real happened to him.  He longed to become Real, to know what it felt like; and yet the idea of growing shabby and losing his eyes and his whiskers was rather sad.  He wished he could become it without these uncomfortable things happening to him."

I feel honored to stand as a witness to the mothers I've known along their quests to become Real.  (Hi Mom!)  (Raising my glass.)  Here's to Keepin' it Real and hoping we don't get TOO shabby along the way.

My mom and me, on her last visit to the Midwest.  I know your fingers are just itching to type about how beautiful she is, and yes, my mom really is that lovely when you meet her.

5 comments:

diana said...

Happy Mother's Day to one of my favorite mamas.

Christie said...

I LOVE me the Velveteen Rabbit. One of the best stories ever.

And your mom really is that pretty. And so are you.

Happy mama day!

Robyn said...

Wow! What a beautiful picture of both of you.

Hope you had a wonderful mother's day. I love and admire you very much!

mae said...

Happy mama day!

My Voice Marshfield said...

thanks for the Velveteen Rabbit. My post partum body needed to hear that.