Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Poetry Love

I invited Stella to snuggle in my bed with me for a few moments before she was sent to her own room for the night. She came in carrying our copy of A Child's Book of Poems illustrated by Gyo Fujikawa.

"I thought we could read this together. I know it's one of your favorites."

She nestled in to the space between my arms and my waist. We rested the book on our knees as we thumbed through its pages picking out our favorite verses to read aloud. I read each poem first, then she read it.

Is there anything more magical than hearing a child read words penned by Tennyson, Wordsworth, Stevenson, Longfellow and Dickinson?

I think not.

2 comments:

Christie said...

One day those gorgeous children of yours will look around at other mothers and realize just. how. lucky they are. Well done, you.

Poetry of the Day said...

gyo is great


and christie i just wanna say you are a beautiful woman.

~ <3 Famous Poetry about life <3~