Sunday, July 16, 2017

Student Council Elections are the Worst

When Creed announced that he wanted to run for student council, I was equally sick to my stomach and happy he wanted to participate. We are talking about a kid who does stand-up comedy for his school talent show, but is sobbing and sick with worry the night before the big performance and begs to back out.

He turned his application in late.

He told me he needed a video/skit type of thing so I helped him figure out a game plan. He ignored my advice and decided to make a stop-motion video. After hours and hours of work, he had about 6 seconds of footage. They were a good 6 seconds. Great, even. But those 6 seconds had cost him about 6 hours. I sent him to bed, and told him to revisit the movie after school the next day. He came home from school and announced that he didn't need a video, after all. Just a speech and some posters.

I provided the posterboard, the spray paint, some stencils for the lettering, and a few words of advice. Again, he ignored my advice and created these:






He told me that 1984 Big Brother is exactly the tone he was going for. 

Next he wrote his speech. Once again, he did this with zero help and I didn't know what to expect. I was at work when the speeches were delivered, so I didn't get to see it. Thank heavens I have a friend who noticed I wasn't there and filmed it for me. Here is a semi-paraphrased transcript:

"Some people think this election is just a popularity contest. To those people I say, 'you are mispronouncing the word DEMOCRACY!'" (Here the student body erupted in applause and laughter. I could even see a few students stand and hoot and holler at him.) "Popularity contests mean that people like me don't usually win elections. That's why America invented the Electoral College." (Clapping and cheering.) "Anyway, I believe the school belongs to US! (pounds the podium) The WORKING CLASS!" (cheering and applause.) 

Anyway, you get the idea. He simultaneously stayed absolutely true to himself and won over the student body. He used words like "proletariat" and ended with the phrase, "Remember, a vote for Creed is a vote for YOU!" at which point the kids hooted and cheered as he walked off the stage.

Obviously he won. Otherwise I would probably not tell this story. Go Creed! He has a week of leadership training this summer and he gets to wear one of those cool Student Council Sweaters. He is now required to participate in and help plan school functions. 

He is going to have a great Junior Year! (Even though I suspect he is going to miss Jack like crazy.)

1 comment:

diana said...

Creed is my hero. I'm so glad you documented this.