Monday, March 7, 2011

Magic Kingdom Fun

We packed our kids in the car and headed to California a week ago, via Salt Lake City.

Who doesn't want to escape the subzero temperatures of February and visit someplace warm and sunny?

In Salt Lake, we checked in on Robert's family and swapped cars with his brother. They have 13 children. That's not a typo: 13! Earl and Tifiny were kind enough to lend us their 11 passenger vehicle so that we could drive down to California in the same car as Sara and Ryan and Grant.

Then Ryan drove us all the way there because we had just driven 18 hours in one day.

We spent three days with Mickey and in those three days we . . .

. . . rode Space Mountain 5 or 6 times (but accidentally ditched my mom so she didn't get to ride it at all. I still feel bad about that.) . . .

. . . Astro Blasted Zurg and his minions several times . . .

. . . met up with Scott and Eddie and tried mint juleps (you can keep your nasty toothpaste water. yuck!) . . .

. . . rode the Matterhorn several times . . .


. . . spun around on the Tea Cups . . .


. . . goofed on all things Disney . . .


. . . met Mary Poppins and Burt (she and Winnie the Pooh are among my favorites) . . .


. . . celebrated Creed's birthday . . .

. . . met up with Kate & Doug (who drove up from San Diego after the BYU game) and my mom (how is this the only picture I have of you, mom? Maybe there are more on my camera, these are just from my phone) . . .

. . . and had an all around Magical Time.

The following is mostly for me, but feel free to peek. It's my lazy way of remembering the details:
1. Who are we kidding? The whole thing is for me (and my progeny).
2. George and I rode the Astro Orbiter together. In the middle of the ride he tilted his head back and told me "Mom, dis wocket wide is dumb."
3. February is the month to visit Mickey. We didn't wait longer than 25 minutes for a single ride. Not even the submarine. There is something to be said, however, about visiting during Christmas time and seeing the Haunted Mansion all decked out Tim Burton style.
4. It's a Small World is not as painful as I remember. I quite enjoyed it.
5. I downloaded an app while I was there that told me the wait times for all the rides in the park. I loved it.
6. The app also had all the Hidden Mickeys arranged in a checklist format. The kids had a great time hunting for them.
7. I became thoroughly annoyed by the stupid Hidden Mickey scavenger hunt. (The kids were clueless about my annoyance. Like all good moms, I kept it to myself and continued to help them enjoy themselves.)
8. World of Color in California Adventure is pretty cool. We were in the very front and we got drenched! Luckily we had ponchos. My favorite part of the show was the montage of the disney cartoon moms snuggling their disney cartoon babies.
9. This was our first multi-day visit. I loved it!
10. This was also the first time we bought any food in the park. (Aside from our usual purchase of Bacon Wrapped Asparagus at the Bengal Bar-b-que.) Of course, we still packed plenty of peanut butter sandwiches because food in the park is expensive and Jack is a bottomless pit.
11. Stella had no desire to meet princesses. Instead, she wanted to meet the classic characters: Mickey, Goofy, and Pluto.
12. George met Buzz Lightyear, but had no desire to interact with him or get close to him.
13. Creed celebrated his 10th birthday at the park and wore a button all day to proclaim it to the world. Everywhere he went, people were wishing him a happy birthday.
14. After every ride, Grant had a single word "fun!"
15. Pretty much every ride scared George.
16. Both George and Grant were tall enough to ride the Matterhorn.
17. By the time Stella was George's age, she had been to Disneyland 3 times!
18. Kate, Doug, and my mom took the kids back to the hotel early the last night because it was FREEZING.
18. Kate also came to the rescue with extra clothes from her car for everyone.
19. I wish I had taken better notes, it was such a fun time! Ryan, George, Grant, and Eddie were the first timers. Scott hadn't been since he was maybe 5 years old? It had been almost four years since the rest of us had been (except my mom and the smith's. My mom hadn't been since Scott was there last and the Smith's were there the week before.)
20. It was a surprise! We woke the kids at 3 in the morning on Monday night and after they got in the car we told them where we were headed.

We are a car-tripping family. The kids feel like the vacation starts as soon as we are in the car headed someplace, so even though we spent 5 days in the car for 3 days at Disney, they loved it. I, on the other hand, would love to pay down some of our student loans so that we can fly. The road trip itself deserves its own post. Don't worry Dallas, you're in it!

P.S. Disneyland really is a magic kingdom because as we were in line to ride Alice in Wonderland, Robert pointed to someone in line ahead of us and said "That's got to be Tyler's Twin." And sure enough it was! It is totally weird running into the Twin Brother of someone you know. He was just as friendly as the real Tyler. It really is a Small World After All.

9 comments:

Becky said...

We love Disneyland! I'm glad you had such a good time. I still need to blog about our last trip, which was in early December. What's wrong with me?

bamatamb said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip--Good for you! I don't know how you manage those long car rides with 4 kids--what's your secret?

Liz said...

Duct tape! Just kidding, car trips with kids is its own blog altogether. I would title it "have kids, will travel."

RyanH said...

Too Funny! We were in Disneyland Feb 22-24. Definitely NOT the week to go to Disneyland in Feb. Park was really busy, and the bigger rides were 60min + for wait times (Toy Story Midway was more like 75-90).

I will have to make a note for next time :)

Christie said...

Looks like a fantastically fun trip (except the car ride. that sounds positively painful). Way to go, girl!

Sissy Jackson said...

Good for you guys. Its nice to spend some family time together!

diana said...

Remember long, long ago when Disneyland-ing was our Thanksgiving tradition? I hope one day Marley and Cohen can go with their Iowa cousins.

Also, I have a very inappropriate comment about one of the characters' mouths in one of your photos. Because this is a family blog I will refrain from saying it but seriously, I am a little disturbed.

We should Skype soon... we've got documentaries, books, statistics and the likes to talk about and catch up on. Love ya.

Phoebe said...

Ok, the cousin thing blew the "Burt sightings" out of the water. That is hysterical. Luv Disneyland.

Kate Smith said...

Who is Tyler?