Monday, August 9, 2010

Back By Popular Demand



Dear MaryAnn,
Thank you for inquiring about my blog postings, or lack thereof. I offer my apology for the tardiness of my response and beg your forgiveness. My contrition is sincere. See! It comes complete with photographs and a recipe.
Love Always,
Liz



Stella had a Ballet/Tap recital in May. The ballet recitals are so great because the whole school performs one big ballet, each class playing their own parts. This year they performed La Sylphide. It's all very fancy schmancy. This is a picture of the Tap performance.


Why is my little boy throwing a hand sign in this picture? Who does he think he is? He is so weird. In June we took the long way to Utah. We drove through South Dakota and Yellowstone. Some people think Mt. Rushmore is a letdown, but I thought it was amazing. Also, who knew South Dakota was so beautiful? The South Dakotans, I guess. A word of advice: if you ever find yourself driving along the freeway and you notice the bajillion signs advertising Wall Drug! don't get sucked in. Ignore them and drive on. I went there on your behalf and trust me, it's just a big store. I probably should have known, but I was seduced by the billboards and talked Robert into taking me there. We left with a pair of handcuffs, a yo-yo, and a hunk of iron pyrite. I didn't even get my free water.
The kids love love loved Yellowstone and I remembered how much I love love love public lands. Iowa, you are a great place to live, but you do not have enough Wild, Untamed Terrain.

I have my suspicions about Yellowstone National Park. I think it may be really a big zoo masquerading as a National Park. I saw some collars on the buffalo and my theory is that they were shock collars meant to keep the wildlife in.

We spent our time in Utah eating cupcakes, playing with cousins, eating hamburgers (You have In and Out now!) and hiking the trails. We went to a wedding where there was a photo booth, a candy buffet, lots of Diet Mt. Dew, and the bride and groom drove off in a big rig. I drooled over my sister's beautiful kitchen and house remodel even though she still doesn't have a light in the bathroom. That's okay, I don't have a faucet on my bathroom sink. At least she can wash her hands in the dark. I can see my hands just fine, I just have to brush my teeth over the bathtub. I'm rambling now, so here is the recipe I promised. It's a grill recipe, so you don't even need to turn on the stove OR the oven.

Thai Chicken Satay Skewers
Make the marinade:
1/2 cup thai fish sauce (nam pla)
1/4 soy sauce
3 Tablespoons sesame oil
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tablespoon garlic (that's like, three cloves or so)
zest of three limes, grated
1 lemongrass stalk, tender inner bulb only, finely chopped (I don't know if I have ever used this ingredient. Everything else I have on hand, but who keeps lemongrass around?)
2 Tablespoons minced jalepeno
1 Tablespoon curry powder
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro stems (Finally! Something you can use those stems that are left over after making your salsa!)

Mix the marinade up in a bowl. Then slice 2 1/2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breast into 3/4 inch strips and marinate them for 4 to 8 hours. When it's time to grill, skewer the chicken pieces on bamboo skewers that you have, of course, soaked in water so that they won't burn. You can pound the chicken flat with a mallet at this point to make it extra authentic. Grill and dip in peanut sauce. You can make some dip, but I just buy it from the Asian Section of the market.

I think, if you're aiming for authenticity, it should also be served with a cucumber salad, but I don't bother with that. I just slice up a cucumber and sprinkle some salt and serve it on a platter.

12 comments:

diana said...

Welcome back! I am so glad you are back. Thank you MaryAnn for encouraging the post.

I miss you guys. I wish we could have been in Utah when you were there too.

I love pictures. Everyone is lovely.

The recipe looks delicious. But probably too ambitious for me. Will you make it for me?

That's Ms. Amy to You... said...

So glad you are back amongst the bloggers. Looks like you had a great trip, and I can't wait to try the recipe. XO from Michigan.

Kara said...

I love it when you blog!
The Mt. Rushmore pic is fantastic!

Sissy Jackson said...

LOVE your blog...

mae said...

Yay! Rosie's back. That picture of Stella-- so sweet it hurts my teeth. She is a beauty!

Creed is hilarious throwing his hand sign. He is too cool for school and Jack looks so grown up and handsome.

ps- you look hot blondie!

Christie said...

Please don't go so long between posts again. You've been missed around here!

Love all the pics - Creed is especially hilarious with his gang sign. He's got fierce down. Love that kid!

iMzOOL said...

i miss you guys! i have been looking over your posts and am about to cry. why cruel world! how are you doing? stella is adorable. love the photos of creed and jack in your next two posts. talented my friend. love ya.

Becky said...

Yay! I'm glad you're blogging again.

Sara said...

FINALLY! how I dread my life when I don't have a blog from Rosie to read.

Thank you.

It's funny how a bathroom light is so far down on my priority list right now.

Nick said...

I had to look twice at the picture of you and Bob about halfway down. I thought at first that you must have picked up a pair of faux angel wings at the Waldrug. I realized at second glance that it was snow in the background. Although it does seem fitting. You and Bob's halos must not show up in photo...

The Yarn Queen said...

Hey I saw the angel wings too. So glad to be able to read the Rosie Blog again. The recipe sounds tasty. Now I have to go think about blogging. Heck we (Phoebe and I are still trying to get up to see Sarah) You' think she lived in the Dakotas.

Heather said...

Yay! I was so excited to see posts from you today! It looks like you had a great trip to Utah. Love all the pictures of your cute family.