Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Questions I Asked Today and Things I Thought


a.k.a. Inner/Outer Dialogue on a Summer Day

Ugh, who's up so early?
What time is it?
What am I making for breakfast?
Do I really have to work out today?
I feel like making cookies. I guess I'm working out.
How much longer do I have to hold this pose?
What's this pose called? It should be called El Diablo.
Why are the kids wearing corduroys? The heat index is going to be over 100 today!
Stella? Are you wearing a sweater? Really?
What am I going to make for dinner?
Why is George so grouchy?
How much longer till naptime?
Is that a SMILEY FACE in PEN on my three day old couch?
Where are the bottoms to this swimsuit?
How much hotter can it get?
Is the air conditioner even on?
How can a cookie that tastes so good be so bad for me?
How can I sneak one (three) more cookie(s) without the kids seeing me?
Where are all the combs?
Is the basement carpet soggy?
Why am I the only one who grabbed my towel on the way to the pool?
Do I HAVE to share my towel with you?
Is that woman those children's mother?
I hope she's a 40ish year old nanny, she is way too smokin' hot to have given birth to those children.
Why do I have big polka dots on my swimsuit? I look ridiculous.
Why did I buy a bright swimsuit with a pattern? Why didn't I go for a solid, dark color?
Why haven't I bought a new swimsuit for myself in four years?
How many more years until I can come to the pool and just nap?
How many more years do I have before the kids stop requesting to see my "dives" from the diving board?
How long do I have before their desire for my attention is replaced by a desire for attention from the packs of girls in skimpy bikinis?
Do each of you really need 20 green twisty ties from the produce department?
Do peanut butter sandwiches and cold cereal with a vitamin count as a well balanced, nutritious dinner?
Did you use actual soap in the shower?
Then why do you still smell like chlorine?
Why can't anyone shut the door when they come in the house?
Yuck. Go brush your teeth.
Well, brush them again.
Do it or I'll brush them for you.
Where are all the combs? Brushes? Forget it, just get me a fork. Tonight we are playing The Little Mermaid.
Do you have to fight every single night over my lap space for reading time?
Please don't stop fighting for my lap space too soon.
When did you all get so big?
How did you all get so funny?
How did I get so lucky that out of all the children in all the world, I ended up with you four?

What am I going to make for dinner tomorrow?

And where the HECK are the combs?

10 comments:

diana said...

Bravo on one of my favorite posts so far. Thanks for letting us into your head for a day. I like in there, it's cozy.

And I'm sure she was the nanny.

That's Ms. Amy to You... said...

{snort}. I have those same inner conversations every day - especially the ones about "What are you wearing?" and "No, fleece lined jeans are not a good idea on a 90 degree day. I promise, it won't make you feel like winter is coming."

Christie said...

Ha! I love it. Strangely, I have a few of the same inner monologues running. Especially the one involving the cookie/work out dilemma.

Becky said...

"Do peanut butter sandwiches and cold cereal with a vitamin count as a well balanced, nutritious dinner?"

YES!!

mae said...

After reading all of your questions, I feel a little exhausted.

Laura Bernard said...

Seems as though my thoughts are your thoughts, but I especially love the green twisty ties from the grocery store. Seriously? What do they even find amusing about them?

Hope you found a comb.

Megane said...

Some of those thoughts sound soo familiar!
we can't find our combs either half the time....maybe their is a comb theif running lose around here???
(I should have warned you about wall-drug....soooo not worth the stop...!)
thanks for posting, you always get me to laugh and I love that about you

Heather said...

Ah. SO familiar! Thanks for such a fun post!

jodie said...

This brought the biggest smile to my face. I've missed your blog posts! Well, I really miss you in real life, but your blog makes up for a lot of that. Keep them coming, please!

jamirodana said...

Many of those questions sound very familiar to me:)
You are so normal......OR both of us are not.