Friday, October 9, 2009

What's not to like?


Following is the text of a conversation I had with my daughter after reading that a girl's self esteem mirrors her perception of her mother's self esteem, not what her mother actually thinks of her little girl, or herself for that matter.

Hey, Stella, do you think I like myself?

Stella: Yes. Why wouldn't you?

Me: I don't know. I'm asking you. What do you think I think about the way I look?

Stella: That you have a lot of zits (ouch, true, but . . . ouch).

Me: What about my body? What do you think I think about my body?

Stella: That it's strong!

Can I tell you how happy I am that she didn't refer to size or looks in any way? She's right, though. I can almost do a pull-up.

8 comments:

Chrissy Jo said...

Now isn't that food for thought. It's all about how our little girls perceive our perception of ourselves. Makes sense I guess. I love that Stella said you are strong. That is the best answer that I can only hope Lyssa would give me someday. I sure do love that little Stella of yours!

sarita said...

Where did you read that, Liz? It makes total sense to me and I want to read that book/article too!

And Stella is right--you are strong.

That's Ms. Amy to You... said...

That Stella is one perceptive little pumpkin. I will have to try and have a similar conversation with my child. I am concerned that she has taken to telling me that I have served myself more food than I gave Daddy. I'm not sure if she is focused on things being "fair" or if she thinks that I am eating too much (a valid possibility, but usually only if there are cookies involved).

Christie said...

Seriously. I am so much more aware after I heard my Hannah repeating verbatim things that I have said negatively about myself- about herself! Kills me. I will raise a daughter who likes herself. No matter what!

Sara said...

You could've posted nothing after that picture and I would've been satisfied.

See you soon!

Sissy Jackson said...

Holy Moly I LOVE Stella! Want to hit a movie this week?

Kate Smith said...

sorry about the whole boracay thing. it was kind of short notice and rather random. next time...dec 2010. My mouth is watering looking at your chicken stock - but at the same time I notice the back of my legs are burning - spf 50 wasnt enough today. arghhhhhh

Alaska said...

Stella is very Smart. You should listen to her. She is right about her momma. How are you? Surviving life? Just started my 3rd round of a-b-c school with my baby Arabella. Can you say "DIVA"--she is sooo very. I can't believe how big Stella is... Take care of your beautiful self.