Wednesday, August 22, 2007

When in Rome . . .



The invasion started weeks before its actual arrival. Billboards and radio ads announced the dates throughout the city. Barnes & Noble had tables of books on display dedicated to the event. Snippets of conversation overheard among the mallrats included discussion centered on what rides to which they were most looking forward and whether or not the new “apple fries” would live up to their hype.



That’s right, folks, I’m talkin’ about the Iowa State Fair.


I’m telling you, for a week and a half the State Fair was all anyone around here was talking about. We Iowans take our State Fair very seriously. The Fair is in the middle of August in 90+ degree weather and 90-98% humidity. Yet, the waiting list for a campground at the State Fair: 10 years.


I learned that we painstakingly map out our route through the fairgrounds days in advance. Since I am a newcomer, my neighbor went out of her way to pay a visit to the house and show me which were the exhibits I could skip and which were Must See. Not to miss: Iowa Pork Producers’ Pork Chop on a Stick, the Hyvee Children’s Garden, Babies on the Farm exhibit, the Tunnel of Love (that’s right people, we have an actual Tunnel of Love), the Honeybee exhibit, and the Grand Champion Cow, Pig, and Lamb.




Truthfully, we had a great time.