Thursday, August 23, 2012

Regarding My Dad

















He was the only child between a Navy Sea Dog and a Circus Beauty.

His mother was in her forties when she had him.

He is a master storyteller. I love being his captive audience.

I inherited my insatiable curiosity from him. He certainly nurtured my curiosity. He taught me about Lake Bonneville and the stars in the sky and the water cycle and how to identify a hawk. I could go on and on.

He used to recite Robert Service poetry for us in the kitchen.

I may have inherited my love of poetry from him.

And Stella inherited it from me.

He has strong opinions that he researches extensively. He is actually reading the Obamacare bill!

He is witty and intelligent.

He is a talented wordsmith and photographer.

His is the tortured soul of an artist. (That statement will induce either a cringe from him or a single tear shed at the insight.)

He loves chocolate chip cookies and Coca-Cola. With no ice.

Whenever he sees me he grabs me and squeezes until I can't breathe. 

He lives in Texarkana, Texas, and that is too far away.

We don't spend enough time together. My kids don't  know any of his stories. I don't know if Stella and George have ever heard him tell a story. 

I did get to spend July 12 with him this year. He took the entire day off. Robert and I took the red-eye into Dallas for a wedding and immediately rented a car and drove the 3 1/2 hours to his house.

His only vehicle is a motorcycle so we went around town doing things that require four wheels and a roof.

We bought a new toilet seat, rat traps, and toilet paper.

We learned that if one wants to have their glasses adjusted in Texarkana, Wal-Mart is really one's only option.

We turned his Boston Terrier loose on one of the rats that had taken up residence in his backyard.

We showed each other photographs of our recent vacations. 

It was not a day filled with spectacular vistas or extravagant meals. We didn't line up any kind of entertainment or excursions to fill the time. It was an ordinary day where my dad and my husband commiserated about professional woes, we talked about the most recent books we were reading, shared photography tips (I salivated over his gear), we ate a few meals, and it was over way too soon. 

I want 10,000 more days just like it.

The next night I was back in Dallas setting up tables and chairs for my friend's wedding and I received the following text from him:
"Do you guys have a minute to swing by? I need to exchange my regular toilet seat for the long toilet seat."
"Plus, it is raining and I need a ride to work."

*All of the photos from this post are from several years ago when I was visiting with my kids over spring break. As per my recent habits (that I am trying to break) I didn't get out my camera while I was with him.

**My parents were divorced shortly before I started blogging and I have always carefully avoided writing much about either one of them. I thought that if I wrote about one parent it would hurt the other's feelings. I have decided that my kids and their kids deserve to read about their grandparents. I love both of my parents and both of their spouses and I am officially ending my silence.

***I may not have needed to write that last paragraph.

2 comments:

Christie said...

Beautiful tribute. Loved it.

Sissy Jackson said...

Im sorry that you dont get to see him more often. He woulds Amazing.