Saturday, December 31, 2011

Gingerbread House 2011

This post is for Kate, who singlehandedly saved my Christmas caramels by sending me some wrappers from Orson Gigi and asked me about the g-bread post.

This year the Wait girls were reunited for our annual tradition. (Of course, none of us are actually Wait girls anymore.) I think it has been eight years since I made a g-bread house with my mom. First she was in Alaska and then I was in Iowa. Naturally, now that I am out west again, she and Sara came south to rekindle our seasonal affair with molasses and home-made hard-tack candy.

We introduced the art of the g-bread house to my sister in law, Tifiny. She loved it so much, she said she was in it for life.

Here is the house right before we melted the windows.


Here is my finished product. Notice the palm tree in the front to match my actual palm trees.


Here's what it looked like today after it succumbed to the wrath of an air soft gun.


The kids cleaned up the whole mess. I didn't even have to get involved.

3 comments:

Christie said...

You are a genius. My (not nearly as cool as yours from a kit) gingerbread house is being pelted with airsoft guns as we speak. My boys and their friends are eternally grateful.

Kimmie said...

Hey Liz - our gingerbread houses get pelted with 9 mm., 38 specials, 22's, 30-30's and of course shotguns. That is how we dispose of them every year on New Years Day. It is a blast!!! (literally.)

Cindy said...

Nice job! It was super cute. I didn't make a house this year. Hopefully next year.

We will be coming your way soon and would love to see you. If you would like to get together, email me your phone number so I can call you. :)
Cindyfishesatgmaildotcom