Thursday, November 17, 2011

Walking the Dog


We had to leave the house yesterday in the afternoon because our landlord was showing it to prospective renters. (We are moving again. For the last time. Ever.)

After a frantic cleaning frenzy and a quick after school snack, the kids and I piled into the car to spend an hour at the park. I didn't want to leave the dog behind, she is not a very good tour guide. We arrived at the park without incident and played for a good long time. Even though I realized once we got there that George was not wearing any shoes or socks (see: frantic cleaning frenzy above.)

Believe me, I love every minute of living here. No shoes or socks at the park in November? Yes, please.

I digress.

On the way home, Ginger's butt kept bumping the gear shift into neutral even though Jack was doing his best to keep her out of the way. He rolled down the window to allow her to stick her head out and maybe make some room. It didn't work. At the next stop sign when her butt shifted me back into neutral, it may have shifted my irritation level into overdrive and I may have shoved her just hard enough to make her jump out the window. The hilarity that ensued was gut busting for me. We were right by an empty field and she was determined not to get caught.

In the end, I handed the leash to Jack and said "Please walk her home."

Little did I know that Her Royal Highness of Dog Walking would be out as well.  Apparently, on their way to the house, Jack and Creed noticed a woman with her own dog walking toward them and Ginger. Knowing how hyper, psycho, FRIENDLY she can get, they promptly crossed the street. Well, so did Her Royal Highness. She seemed intent that the two dogs meet. Of course, when they got close, Ginger pulled hard on the leash and Jack had a good tight hold of it but Ginger is huge and strong and he couldn't get her to stop pulling.

As they passed each other, Her Royal Highness snapped at my son "LEARN how to control your DOG if you are going to take it for a WALK, KID."

Had Jack dropped the leash? No. Did he cross the street in advance and try to avoid the encounter? Yes. Did his dog jump on, bark at, or in any way get tangled up with her or her dog? She was trying to get tangled up, yes, but Jack didn't let her. She wasn't barking or jumping. He allowed for a wide enough birth that the two dogs didn't even get to give a proper hello. (Read: sniff each others' butts.)

The only thing that Her Royal Highness was commenting on was the fact that Jack's dog was pulling hard on the leash and he was clearly pulling pretty hard back.

She doesn't even know him, and a negative comment like that from a stranger devastates my kid. He was downcast the rest of the night.

I told him he should feel honored. It's not every day that you get to meet Royalty while you our out walking the dog.

(I'm just glad that Creed didn't try to run her over on his scooter. He was hoppin' mad at her.)

7 comments:

bamatamb said...

What a loser. Tell Jack to not give it one more minute of his time.
ps--good luck in the move; are you buying a place in St. George?
pps--I ran into your mom and sis at Layton Cafe Rio a few weeks ago! It was cool to see them; but I wish you were with them!

That's Ms. Amy to You... said...

Finally! A picture of the "alleged" dog. I think this is the first time I've seen her, so now I know she's real. And I say "Pffffffft" to the Queen of Snoot. Doesn't she know how lucky St. George is to be graced by the presence of the Rose clan? The entire Midwest mourned your departure.

mae said...

OK I have to stop laughing so I can type. I am just thinking of your dog jumping out the window.

You'll have to have Jack train Ginger to pee on people's legs on command in case he runs into that woman again.

Becky said...

I hate mean grown-ups. Julia would feel the same way. She got scolded by a lady in her car when she was on her bike one day. I was just 1/2 block away, but if I'd been closer, she would have gotten some words from me.

Becky said...

And that is the funniest picture of your dog!

The Yarn Queen said...

Love the picture of the dog. I can just picture that personality dog. Where are you moving now, I know a great realtor down there. Mike's friend Justin Ryan. Just in case you are still looking.
Sorry that Jack had to run into someone who's spandex outfit was to tight,what a snoot.

Christie said...

Honestly, how the world can be so full of such ugly people is beyond me. Your sweet boy would never hurt a fly. I hope that woman gets hit by a bus. What a witch.