Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thanksgiving Menu

This is last year's Thanksgiving table.

What kind of a person would invite their friends over to share a Thanksgiving meal and then forget that they had invited said friends? Only a low down, dirty rotten, paramecium brain. That's who.

I would certainly never forget.

Look, when I asked her what she was doing for Thanksgiving (knowing perfectly well that I had invited her to my house several weeks ago) it was because I assumed her acceptance of my invitation had slipped her mind. Also, the local Medical Students like to go to the cafeteria at their school for Thanksgiving (don't ask), and I will not compete with the school cafeteria. I was giving her an opportunity to gracefully opt out of coming over. Just in case she had decided to eat her turkey served up by a lady in a hairnet and prescription shoes.

It's not like I forgot that I had already invited her. I mean, who would do that?

I started inviting local friends when Sissy broke the news that she and her family weren't going to make it. (sniffle) I understand the relentless master of School Schedules and Tight Budgets. (I am, once again, assuming that's why they aren't coming.)

I am excited that there are people around here who want to share the holiday with us. Corny as it sounds, I feel honored that these women want to bring their families to my home and break bread together.

Do you want to be my bosom friend for life? Then prepare food with me. There is magic in the preparation of food as flour, butter, and sugar bake away in the oven or chicken breasts simmer with mushrooms, rosemary, butter, and white wine.

Somewhere in that last sentence there is a metaphor comparing the melding together of different foods into a finished product more magnificent than any of the ingredients can be if they stand on their own to all different kinds of people with different experiences coming together and lifting one another up. Whatever.

Here's what we are eating at our house on Thursday:

Herb Brined Turkey with Gravy
New Wave JELL-O
Mashed Potatoes
Sweet Potatoes with crunchy Streusel Topping
Stuffing
Dinner Rolls
Fruit Salad
Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts (or as we call them, B. Russ Sprouts in honor of Bryon Russell)
Assorted Pies

I'll probably have a wheel of brie and some crackers with olives and veggies for snacking. Because I love snacks. The only thing I am trying this year that I haven't in years past is the preparation of the herbs for the turkey. I'm going to blend them up and mix them with olive oil to make a paste that I will slather all over the bird.

I'd love to go down to my dad's and celebrate with him and my new Not Wicked Stepmother and my new Beautiful Stepsisters and Talented Stepbrother, but Robert's schedule won't allow it.

This is my turkey from last year soaking up the brine.

10 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh Liz, Thanks for the little giggle this morning. I hope you know that we are excited to come over and spend Thanksgiving with you. Especially after reading the menu. YUMMY!!

Kelly said...

Oh and I wanted to point out that I think of you as one of the most kind and generous people I know. When somebody is so giving to so many different people, all of the time, it is only understandable that it would be impossible to keep track of every single one of them. Let me know if there is anything else you need for that day. Even if it is last minute.

Christie said...

Oh, brined turkey is the best. How have I forgotten about that jello? My kids needs to be introduced to its glory. Happy turkey day, friend!

sarita said...

Best turkey I ever devoured was at last year's Thanksgiving feast with your fam--I will dearly miss that turkey and all the company that came with it (as well as the brussell sprouts).

Have a happy Thanksgiving! Let's bake something together this Christmas, ok?

bamatamb said...

Will you share your secret recipe for brined turkey? I am NOT a cook, but I'm trying a turkey this year (just for my little family; the real feast is at Bryan's parents). But I love leftovers and the only way to get them is to cook your own turkey, dang it! So, I'll give it a shot this year, even though, as I said, I really don't cook well. Please share your wisdom, in detail. "Turkey cooking for Dummies."
(And, by the way, I love reading your blog and feeling like I am in touch with you again, even though it's been years and years, and we are states and states away. You're great, Liz!)
:) Michonne

Shannon Smith said...

I keep wondering what New Wave Jello is all about?! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

That's Ms. Amy to You... said...

Oh I wish I was in Des Moines, Hoo-ray, Hoo-ray (think of "I wish I was in Dixie".....). Have a lovely feast.

Sissy Jackson said...

Man, I wish we were coming. I love your cooking. Thanks for being cool and not holding a grudge and putting me on your BLOG about not coming. I just love you for that. I HATE being poor more than I HATE NOT having time. But I DO LOVE YOU! Happy Turkeys...

Jeff said...

Holy moly that sounds good. I miss you and the village, and the food, and the games, but mostly just you.

Happy thanksgiving.

mae said...

Sounds divine.

I am remembering Thanksgivings out in Tooele with Owen, Irene and all the cuzzins. Good times.

Hope you have a wonderful day!