Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Dear Arugula

Oh, how I love thee.  Where have you been all my life?  I knew you were out there, but I thought you were just another green.  Like kale or bok choy.  Not so.  Why have I never bothered to give you a taste until now?  

* * * * 

I stood in her garden and she queried "have you ever tasted arugula?" and before I knew it she was handing me a green leaf and I was putting you in my mouth and chewing and . . . wow.  You are delightful with your sweet beginning and your heat at the end.  

I hereby invite you to every roast beef and swiss sandwich I eat from now until the end of my days.

* * * * 

How to enjoy arugula like I do:

Step 1:  Gently heat your cast iron skillet

Step 2:  Add a few slices of roast beef

Step 3: Place a slice of swiss cheese on the roast beef.  Don't stir it, just allow it to melt.

Step 4:  Toast two slices of bread (100% whole wheat, of course) and spread with a thin layer of mayo and mustard.  (The bread can be toasted on the cast iron.)

Step 4a:  You may add horseradish if you so choose.

Step 5:  Place the meat and cheese on one slice of bread and add thinly sliced onions, a thick slice of tomato and lots of ARUGULA.

Step 6:  Add the other slice of toasted bread and wash it down with a diet mt. dew.

3 comments:

Christie said...

There is nothing I love more than a good summer arugula salad. Your sandwich sounds divine, minus the onions, of course.

mae said...

I am really excited to try arugula. soon.

That's Ms. Amy to You... said...

Dang it, now you've got me craving a roast beef sandwich (NO mustard, add horseradish, provolone, and plenty of tomoato). Yum.