Monday, January 12, 2009

Meet me in St. Louis

Over the New Year weekend, we got the heck outta dodge and drove five hours south to visit my long lost friend (who is kind of stuck with me because I am also her cousin.)

We hadn't spent any significant amount of time together in 15 years.
 
Our husbands had never met.

Our kids had never met.

The plan was to stay in their home for three days.

About a half hour from her house, I started to panic.  What was I doing?  I was two steps away from being Cousin Ed showing up in Clark Griswald's driveway announcing "That there Clark's an R.V."  How was I going to gracefully extract myself and my family from the uncomfortably silent sitting and staring at each other that was sure to ensue as soon as we arrived?  

It was a recipe for disaster.

Luckily, I don't always follow the recipe.

My kids didn't embarrass me (I didn't hear them belch out loud the whole time.)  In fact, once they figured out who was who, they disappeared only to surface for food once in awhile.  

I didn't embarrass my husband (I didn't belch either) and he got to watch his football team win a big game with his new friend.  

In the end, we all left with a new (or newly discovered) best friend.  If you don't believe me, take a look at this photo:

We told them to stand on the rock so that we could take their picture.  Do you see how Jack and Mack are being the responsible oldest brothers and doing as their mothers asked?  Do you see how Creed and Chase are acting goofy and silly?  Do you see how Hannah and Stella are both just trying to look pretty?  I couldn't have scripted the weekend better than it played out.  I hope the future holds much more time for our kids to play together.
And I hope my future holds many more fun conversations, laughter, revelations, and wisdom gained from the always stunning Christie.  Who knows, maybe even a girls only trip with Sara and Maegan?  What do you think?  (I'm sorry, I just can't play it cool.  I LIKE YOU!)

8 comments:

Kara said...

You know I live about two miles away from the St. Louis Zoo and you didn't come see me! Seriously Liz. Now you have to come back to St. Louis again soon.

mae said...

Count me in on the girls only trip.

Anyway, when are you coming back to slc for a visit? I am having Liz withdrawls.

Kate Smith said...

I was thinking the same thing as Kara - why the heck didn't you stop by? Kara even has a new extra room in her place now - and it's on the main floor!
Miss you guys tons.
k8

Christie said...

No, it was YOU who was the absolute pleasure and treat to hang out with! You guys made our whole weekend fun. The kids are still talking about it and sorely missing their new cousins. I need to get my pics uploaded off my camera so I can blog and brag about you myself. You are the best. I will love and adore you forever! I am totally up for a girl's weekend ANYTIME.

P.S. LOVING the book you left. Keep having to put it down to do annoying things like feed kids and take showers. Wrong, I know.

Chrissy Jo said...

Look at you, already making good on your goal to do more travel! Your kids are so funny. I love Stella's looking pretty face. Just so you know, every time I make star shaped biscuits I think of her. :-)

The Yarn Queen said...

Very cool. You two look like sisters.Amazing!

danandcindy said...

Liz, it's Christie's cool younger brother, Dan. You are sorely mistaken if you think that Christie is cool. Time will tell my friend, time will tell.

Robyn said...

Perfect weekend indeed. I agree, you do look like sisters. I'm glad you didn't follow the recipe and went for it!