Wednesday, January 21, 2009

These are the days

Wake up and wonder if Ed is up in time for his early morning instruction.  Listen for him.  After a few minutes of not hearing him, drag myself out of my warm bed (flannel sheets, I love you) and wander down the hall.  Walk right into him at the end of the hall.  Go back to bed and be glad that he has a ride to Seminary.  

Get up again when I hear him come home.  Stick my head into the boys' room and tell Jack to close his book and get dressed.  "Hey, Liz."  "Good morning, Ed."  Go to the kitchen and maybe make pancakes.  Or oatmeal.  Or scrambled eggs.  If my night was especially late and the morning came way too soon, I sit down and tell the kids to make their own breakfast while I open my Diet Coke.  Ed helps.  He even makes their lunches.  

The squeak of a bedroom door opening, little feet running down the hallway.  "Good mo-ning hugs, mom!"  The circulation to my feet is cut off as she wraps her arms around my legs and brightens the whole kitchen with her mile wide grin.  "Can I help you make bekfast?"  

Over breakfast they astound me with their math knowledge.  "mom, I know what 1,000 x 4 is!"  "I know what 19 + 19 is!"  Ed and I are appropriately impressed.

"Clear your dishes."  "Put on your snowpants."  "MOM!  Where are my boots?"  (How would I know?)  "Are we having hot or cold lunch?"  "Go brush your teeth."  "Straighten the covers on your bed."  (They are not physically capable of making their bed, but they are totally willing to straighten their covers.)  "Mom, I need you to sign this."  "Put on a hat."  "Where are your gloves?"  "Did you brush your teeth?"  "Put the hamster away."  "Put your book away."  "Is that your homework on the table?"  "It's time to go."  "I need my tennis shoes.  It's P.E. day."  "I love you.  Your are an amazing person.  Have a wonderful day. (kiss on the forehead.  kiss on the cheek.  kiss on that spot just below the ear.)  "Mom, I need to go!"  

"Don't fo-get yo' good-bye hugs!!!!!!"  

And off they go, smiling and waving. 

I have a few precious hours to do all the things it takes to make my house a home.  Stella and George are my accomplices in laundry, vacuum, bill-pay, errand-running.  Sometime I'll paint you a picture of my days.

Right now I am off to watch a little bit of the office while I run on my treadmill.

5 comments:

diana said...

Sounds like the best morning ever. You are one lucky lady.

We miss you guys!

mae said...

Sounds a bit like a tornado :) And think, someday you will wake up and only be responsible for making your own breakfast. Weird, right?

Christie said...

Thank heavens you have the good sense to recognize the absolute wonder of the mornings in your life. Soon enough, they'll be something else all together.

The Yarn Queen said...

Thank heaven for Mommies.

Robyn said...

I love your home and every one it it!