Friday, June 29, 2007

Paint colors and other such nonsense

For Your Information: If a paint color has the word “gold” in its name, it’s probably going to be a little yellow.


When the nice gentleman at my local Home Depot handed me a gallon of “Champagne Gold” with a dab of sample paint on the lid, I looked at him and queried “is this the right color? It seems a little yellow.”


He looked at it and replied “You’re right, it does look more yellow here than it did on your card.” He then dabbed a little paint directly onto my card, blow dried it, and voila! It matched exactly. So, I bought my bucket of paint, drove it home, and now I have a charmingly yellow hallway.


Now for all you artists out there, what color do I paint my front room to go with my “Champagne Gold” hallway? From what I can tell, the complementary color for yellow is purple, and while I love purple, I think the combination of yellow hallway, purple front room, and bright red couches is a bit too much of an homage to my grandmother who ran away with the circus.


What to do what to do . . . apparently I need to make some friends.