Saturday, June 15, 2013

Life Happens


Thoughts and ideas float around the edges of my days, waiting to materialize and find their way into the universe. This record of my family, my children, and our daily life is more important to me than is evident by the attention it gets. 

We have been busy living and enjoying life.

However.

I don't want to be so busy living my life that I neglect to record just how fantastic life is.

And it really is. Fantastic.

Lucy Pearl was born on April 25. She has changed our family in many wonderful ways. She has softened the edges of my surly teenager and she has forced the five year old to look beyond his own needs.
Lucy Pearl Rose on her birthday 
 On Mother's Day, we revisited a favorite place: Cathedral Gorge. I took a Geology class last semester and bored delighted everyone with fun facts as we explored this Nevada State Park. The kids were excited to give me all their handmade gifts which included a cheese board from Jack, a coupon book from Stella, a card from Creed and I can't remember what George's gift was. Give me a break! Lucy was barely two weeks old and I was still in zombie-state. It was probably a picture that he drew.
Mother's Day 2013: Cathedral Gorge
Jack was in 8th grade this year. He was in the Math Club. Every Wednesday he woke up super early and went to school to practice math. They made it all the way to the State Competition! I love it when he gets his guitar out in the evenings and plays for us. I'm excited that I'm not "heavy with child" anymore so that I can let him whip my butt on the tennis court, too. Also, his shoe size is 11 1/2 and he is super tall. He wants his own room. He qualified for all the Honors classes at the high school. Yikes.


Creed. Oh, my little man. Every single day he arrived home from school with a huge smile on his face. He loved 6th grade. Science is his favorite subject. He is still passionate about art, dragons, and Benjamin Franklin. He entered a film in his school's film festival and wore his Hobbit Cloak to the viewing event. He got contacts and was able to put them in and take them out on the first try without any help. He played on a soccer team with and against kids twice his size. He still wears the same shoe size that he wore a year ago and he refuses to stop wearing his saltwater sandals. He is who he is and he makes no apologies. Oh that we could all be as self-assured as Creed.

This year Stella was in 3rd grade. She is still taking Ballet class and she even auditioned for the Nutcracker. She played the role of "Party Princess" and she was so confident and graceful onstage that we all cried when we finally saw the production. She was also the "sister" in the school play and probably did some other stuff too but I have a horrible memory and this is why I need to sit here more often and make a record. Oh, yeah, she works hard at piano and read all the Harry Potter books this year.


Georgie was my first child to officially attend preschool. He also spent a few days every other week at a babysitter's house while I went to school. Her name is Mabi and she is fantastic. It was in her home that he discovered his love of Chiuauas, the game "Jenga," and prepackaged fruit gels that I can only buy at the Latino Market. He is an attentive and kind big brother. He is a great reader and thinks that calculators are a viable substitute for playing on an iPhone. He still loves to snuggle me every chance he gets, but is willing to make room for Lucy when she needs to eat.
We had spaghetti for dinner that night, apparently George needed to save some for later.
Last but not least is my baby girl. Oh, Lucy. She is absolutely adorable. What can I say? She eats, she sleeps, she poops. Sometimes she smiles at us. She has a wicked case of baby acne. Everyone loves her hair. She is 8 weeks old and already she has been to the beach and flown in an airplane to San Antonio, Texas. We know she must be a Rose because she loves road trips. 
2 1/2 weeks old

And there you have it.

I want to paint a more complete picture of what life was like this year, but I don't have the time right now. It was pretty hectic. I was terrible at balancing motherhood, student life, church callings, pregnancy, and everything else in between (like writing on a blog or taking pictures.) I didn't make dinner very often and I missed a few school performances/obligations. In fact, right this moment, I remembered that I was supposed to send sprinkles with Stella to school during the last week for an ice cream party . . . and I didn't. I completely forgot until RIGHT NOW. 

Oops.

(I am on Instagram, are you? @rosiedays, let's follow each other.) (I'm looking at you: tynruby, sarita, sissy, chrissyp, shalise, amy, auprielle, michonne, michelle, becky, and anyone else who is still around but maybe not commenting. Some of you went private and I can't seem to keep up with your blogs. Instagram is far superior for staying in touch.)

5 comments:

That's Ms. Amy to You... said...

Congrats on your sweet Lucy. I may have to make a trip to St. George for the express purpose of stroking that titan red hair and kissing those sweet baby cheeks. I am not on instagram, but now that you have laid down the challenge, i am going to have to join. So glad that life in the West is going so well for you. Miss you, friend.

sarita said...

I miss you, too! You know, there are still 12 months for you to plan a trip to CT and have a free place to stay! Then entire Rosie Clan is invited.

Lucy is a doll and your other kids are darling as well---they are all so big!

I, unfortunately, am not on instagram. I think it's so great that I found myself spending way too much time on it so I had to delete my account (as I did with FB years ago). It's about self-control and I have none! I do update my blog pretty regularly and it's not private: www.ryanandsarita.blogspot.com

Love you!

Becky said...

I'm on instagram!! I'll look you up. I'm still trying to keep my blog alive, too. There's a link to it on my instagram profile page, so check it out!

I love your little Lucy! (Did I just basically say "I Love Lucy"? I'm sure that's not the first or last time you/she will hear that! Sorry.) Congrats!!! I'm so happy that you have her!

lilianapsvonniederhausern@gmail.com said...

Hello, rememberme...Liliana Max's wife (Max is Andrew's brother...another clue von Niederhausern...hehe)
Your family is so beutiful...thanks for sharing...Congratulations, Lucy is a doll!

bamatamb said...

Liz--your children are so incredibly beautiful! Each and every one is gorgeous. I'm glad you got another little strawberry blonde like you! What a great mom you are.

I'm not on Instagram...is it much different from facebook?

I'm so glad you updated your blog; just do it when you can, and don't stress when you can't, because we all know that life happens. :)

Love you!