Tuesday, August 30, 2011

August Happened

In bullet list:
  • We moved to St. George. I came in advance with the kids and Robert joined us two weeks later.
  • The comments from the kids on the day we pulled into town were priceless. "This place is beautiful!" "Mom, thank you so much for moving us here!" "Are those mountains real or fake?"
  • Our truck was two weeks late in bringing our stuff to us, and when it finally arrived, I just wanted them to turn around and unload at the dump.
  • The dump is free here.
  • Robert was here by then and he wouldn't let me do that.
  • The house we are renting is smaller than our house in Iowa by more than half.
  • We have become intimately acquainted with the local Goodwill, a.k.a. the D.I., and also the Dump.
  • The dump is free here!
  • So far, Robert loves his new job.
  • The kids have tons of friends and I am considering installing revolving doors on the house because of all the people coming and going all the time.
  • Except that we are renting and I don't think the landlords would appreciate that.
  • I have lost five pounds since I got here. I'm pretty sure it was just the water evaporating out of my system.
  • You know, since we moved from the humidity of the Midwest to the desert of the Southwest.
  • Everyone says we came in the height of the worst weather of the year.
  • I say, if this is the worst you can do, I am going to have to be pried out of this place with a crowbar.

10 comments:

Dallas said...

Did you sleep on the floor with towels for two weeks?

Liz said...

Ha ha! We stayed in a hotel for about a week, then I invested in an air mattress and some new sheets for myself and a blanket for each of the kids. So they slept on the floor with blankets for a week! And now we have a lovely air mattress for our guests. Hint hint. (sorry, no toto washlet yet.)

bamatamb said...

Congratulations and welcome back to Utah! I am glad that you're getting settled and I'm so happy that Robert loves his job and the kids love their friends. If you plan a trip up north, I would love to see you! Lori and I try to get together about once every month or so (we cook a dinner and dessert while we just chat and catch up on life. It's fun!) We'd love for you to join us. :)

Christie said...

I would love a free dump. I'd seriously pull up once a week with a load, I'm sure. It's good for me that ours is inaccessible and expensive. We'd have no stuff. Congrats on the new move!

Kelly said...

I was just thinking about you and wondering how you were doing so I was happy to see a post from you when I logged on today! Miss you.

That's Ms. Amy to You... said...

Yay, you made it! I expect to see more regular chronicles from St. George. Enjoy the sunshine!

Sara said...

See ya this weekend!

Liz said...

Michonne: I would love to meet up. I will let you know the next time I come to salt lake.

Christie: thanks! The free dump really is wonderful, and so convenient.

Kelly: tanks for hanging in there.

Amy: I will most certainly shoot for more regular posting. And congrats to you and your family!

Can't wait to see you, Sara!

Becky said...

I'm excited that you guys are in St. George! It makes me feel closer to you, even though it's probably not much closer to me than you were before. But it's a neighboring state, and it's close to Vegas, where my parents are.

Liz said...

Let's meet up. It would be so fun to catch up with you guys!