Tuesday, February 9, 2010

And that's why I will never have my own cooking show

All of my wildest dreams were about to come true.

I was all set to host several women in my home for a few hours today while I instructed them in the fine art of cookery. I felt sure that they would find my skills to be of such a caliber and my jokes to be so well timed and I would exhibit just the right amount of sincerity that they would insist on using their student loans to fund my own weekend show on local access cable.

But then Robert's dad had to go and get the Big C. (That's what we insiders call Cancer.)

Then his dumb old spleen had to rupture. Stupid spleen.

And he pretty much almost died, but a few angels decided to guide his surgeon's hands and miracle of miracles he made it out of a surgery that nobody thought he would survive.

He is, however, now short one spleen.

The long and short of it is that we took an emergency trip out west, I had to cancel my cooking demonstration, and I hate cancer. Cancer sucks.

But family rocks. Especially mine.

And when they eat the food I cook for them (with a little help from my mom and my sister), they make me feel like a rockstar.

All kidding aside, his story is pretty miraculous and I feel so blessed to count myself a member of his family. They are inspiring men and women. If you are interested in following the progress of Robert's Dad's treatments, visit his blog.


6 comments:

Kelly said...

Liz that is such wonderful news. (You can expect an eager group of women ready to get some serious cooking instruction when you return.)

sarita said...

I've already booked you for March, my friend, so you'll get your cooking show when you get back!

So glad to hear Robert's dad is doing well. You guys have been on my mind and in my prayers.

Matt and Erin said...

So glad Robert's dad is doing well! What a blessing!

bamatamb said...

Oh Liz, I'm so sorry to hear about Robert's dad. Cancer does most definitely suck. Your family is in my prayers.

Christie said...

Sounds like it's been quite a week, my friend. Hang in there. Hugs from your peeps in St. Louis.

mae said...

Glad to hear that Earl is doing well. I wish him the very best.

Despite the scary circumstances it was really awesome to see you come walking in the front door completely unexpected.