Monday, January 25, 2010

Anxious Much?

Is it a dumb idea to have a Valentine's Day Party?

What if I ask my guests to come dressed as their favorite pairs?

That does make it dumb, doesn't it.

I love having parties, but I also hate having parties.

In the days and hours leading up to any gathering for which I am the hostess I think:

Nobody's going to come.
I don't think I have enough food.
I'm going to run out of beverages.
I'm sure nobody's coming.
This food is gross.
I'm the only person in this town who even likes blue cheese.
I have no friends.
Nobody likes me.

Of course, my friends come and I don't run out of anything and I spend the evening with interesting people and hear interesting stories but then I also usually say something that sounds dumb or lame and reveal myself as a Lord of the Rings loving, Star Wars watching, SciFi loving, Celebrity Gossiping, bad housekeeping, impatient, non-spiritual, gas guzzler who uses plastic grocery sacks and disposable diapers and sometimes forgets that not everybody wants to hear about my funny cute kids but I don't really have much else to talk about because I don't really do much else besides a doing bad job at keeping house and keeping my patience in check and reading too many books.

I feel like having a Valentine's Day Party.


16 comments:

Christie said...

Um.

Are you sure we aren't sisters? Seriously, I could have written that entire post.

And I have been contemplating having a party of my own. A white trash food party.

But what if my friends won't come? What if they think that's lame? What if it is lame? What if the food isn't as funny as I hope it to be? What if they don't dress up? What if? What if? WHAT IF?

Let's both take a deep breath and have ourselves some parties, shall we?

Chrissy Jo said...

Liz, my dear, I think you should have that party. If I wasn't going to be out of town I would throw a party. :-) I always stress but then I always have fun! And I love it when you tell me about your funny kids. Is that because I have funny kids too? Maybe. But I also think it's because I just love your kids. Happy Monday!

jamirodana said...

Hey Liz! This is random but will you go to www.julieparkerphotography.blogspot.com and VOTE for DANA WILLIS. If you get this before 1pm Utah time then go vote. If not, no worries:)
It ends at 1pm! I'm hoping to win a seat to a photography workshop that is being given away!

Unknown said...

Liz, throw the party and I will totally be there with Eric dressed as our favorite pair.

Nick said...

You're probably right about the blue cheese. Otherwise I agree with the previous commenters...your party sounds like a great time.

Sara said...

You crack me up! I love blue cheese but I could NEVER get my husband to dress in costume to come to your party. Can we come anyway? Just kidding. I live in Utah and he's far far away.

I'm feeling lonely.

Throw the party then blog about your beautiful decorations and wonderful food. Thanks for the update!

That's Ms. Amy to You... said...

That's why I don't throw parties, and yet I LOVE going to other people's parties. I say go for it. I'll be there in spirit. Unless my penchant for celebrity gossip has spun out of control & I'm blacklisted. Which is entirely possible, as it IS awards season. XO. Miss you!

sarita said...

I love blue cheese, too.

I would totally come. Maybe Jack could teach me once more just how airplanes fly.

Phoebe said...

When my house is done, I'm going to throw a party for every reason that I can think of. Have fun!

mae said...

I wanna come! I'm thinking Quinn and I can resurrect our Princess Bride halloween costume from a few years ago.

I have those same feelings every time I invite people over but I also have a phobia that the food I make will give people food poisoning.

Pamela said...

Yep you totally should have a party, can I come? I am sure the drive from NM to Iowa isn't so bad :)

Sissy Jackson said...

Um Im invited right?!?!

Chels said...

The better question is who wouldn't want to come to a Valentine's party dressed in costume? If it was feasible I would come invite or not. It will be a party worth crashing.

Linette Smith said...

as long as you have ranch as well. those as my feelings EXACTLY. I want a valentine's party. Linette

Robyn said...

I don't like you, I love you. I will come to your party and eat blue cheese until I puke.

What should I bring?

Becky said...

I know! Isn't it funny how you can worry simultaneously that both a) no one will come and b) there will not be enough food? (Remember the MSA Christmas party?) I wish I could come to any party of yours!