Sunday, September 20, 2009

All Hope Abandon, Ye Who Enter Here

Q: What's a pirate's favorite restaurant?

Ahoy, me hearties, did ye Talk Like a Pirate yonder Saturday? Don't despair if ye missed out, lads and lasses, thar be plenty of pirate talk in these parts fer ye and yer scurvy mates.

First, take a gander at this video, so ye'll be knowin' in what kind of voice ye ought to be readin', and so that ye'll be prepared to celebrate next year. Arrgh.

Whether we're talkin' like pirates or not, this here wench runs a tight ship. First thing in the mornin', w'the risin' of th'sun, all hands were on deck.

We swabbed the deck . . .

. . . and we scrubbed the head.


Once the ship was spic and span, the lads practiced their Bonneti defense and their Capo Fero against each other (even though Thibault cancels out Capo Fero) because no day would be complete without a skirmish amongst the shipmates, am I right? All squabblin' on deck was put on hold, however, when it was announced that we were puttin' out to sea! That's right, even though our Cap'n was out saving land lubbers from scurvy for the day and our teen-aged second mate was plunderin' and pillagin', this here wenchy first mate thought it be fitting to put out to sea alone with four of the foulest mouthed, lice riddenest, mangiest, rottenest livered buccaneers ever to sail the seas. Little George, the Cabin Boy, refused to keep his hands inside the ship and kept trying to go overboard. Stella, our lookout, settled in after she realized we weren't really out for a pleasure cruise through shark infested waters. Our rowers, Jack and Creed, used a lot of teamwork in figuring out how to paddle a canoe away from the dock, away from the shore, and towards a destination. Me? I wrestled with the baby in the cargo hold for an hour and a half, because he thought he should get to walk the plank and go for a swim.

All along the way, we sang and talked like pirates.

After we docked the ship, I gathered the buccaneers for a photo, but everyone was disinclined to acquiesce to my request, thus, you get this:



and this.



Sometimes, I wish I had a Boo Box for 'em.

A: ARRRRbys!

(I referenced three of my favorite pirate movies here. Did you recognize them?)

6 comments:

diana said...

I got a few Princess Bride quotes and a couple Pirates of the Caribbean references and I'm going to guess that the walk the plank remark referred to Peter Pan.

Looks like so much fun. And I love that you got a photo of toilet cleaning but not the family.

Miss you.

PS RRRRRRR you planning a trip to Hawaii?

That's Ms. Amy to You... said...

I needed a RosieBlog posting this morning, and am delighted at the spine-chilling adventures of the Good Ship Rose.

And now, I am off to row the slave ship. Argh.

Christie said...

Only one I got was POTC in the title. But now as I type this, I fine meself typin' with a touch of the pirate speak in me own head. Arrr.

How did I miss Pirate speaking day?

mae said...

That is my very favorite Arby's joke. HA!

Steve 2.0 said...

Hey Rosie

Stumbled across your blog from World's Strongest Librarian. I was going to email you, but I couldn't find any contact info for ya, so sorry for the off-topic comment!

If you're getting close to doing a pull up but you're not quite there, check out this evolution of pull ups video. It's from Craig Ballantyne, a internet fitness guru who really knows his stuff (although his sites come across almost like a scam). I had a friend do his first pull up ever the other day, was pretty exciting.

As far as the pirate references, I think one is Pirates of the Caribbean, the "boo box" is from Hook...and I don't know the third. Hopefully it's from the Goonies, because that's one of the best movies ever (well, it was when I was 7).

Steve @ NerdFitness.com

Tricia said...

Chelseys softball team played the Pirates on Saturday, and they let us know that they had to win since it was pirates day, then gave our girls a treat after the game all because they were pirates!!
It was kind of fun!