Sunday, November 16, 2008

In Which I State the Obvious

Motherhood isn't always what I expected it to be.  Oh, I expected the sleepless nights and the poopy diapers. I had been warned about the worry I would feel and the need to constantly check their breathing in the middle of the night.  I remember friends with kids sharing trivial triumphs with me as I lazily thumbed through my fashion magazine.  "Little Gus put his toe in his mouth today.  It was just soooo cute!  You should have been there, I mean, it was unbelievable."  

I knew I was signing up for a thankless job with little pay and minimal vacation or sick days.  

I knew I would love the little stinkers.  

I wasn't prepared for just how much I would love them.  

Sometimes when he makes eye contact with me, it makes my day.

Photo by Jack

7 comments:

mae said...

It is truly amazing how a little giggle can instantly make months of puke, poop, snot, and screaming completely worth it...

Devin & Shalise said...

I am so glad you found our blog!! I cannot relate to the whole mother thing (yet!) but I am sure one day I will completely understand, your kids are so adorable!!

Robyn said...

Oh what a precious picture. I whole heartedly agree about what you're sayin', and I about melt everytime that baby of yours smiles at me!

Megan said...

It isn't obvious until you have one (or four!) I had NO IDEA. None. It's amazing. Simply amazing.

Christie said...

I never thought I'd love something that peed on me, threw up on me, and required me to deal with its feces. But you do. You love 'em so much it hurts sometimes.

The Yarn Queen said...

And even when your Mom says you'll love them you don't believe her, until you experience yourself. Love is amazing.

diana said...

Well said.